Back to SONEX
Back to AshtonAerospace
I Has Elevator (Well, almost)
The adventures continued in
August, as I took a
2-week break from airplane building
to Ireland with my Parents and we had
time! I felt at home with my
People.... Red Power!
continued working on the Elevator. I finished drilling and
clecoing the left Elevator section. Once complete, I setup a flat
table and jig to align the two elevator parts together. I aligned
the leading edges and set the span. Once the position was
verified, the root/drive rib assembly was positioned and the rivet holes
were measured and marked. The rood/drive rib pilot holes were
drilled through the skins and ribs.
I drilled the
center and tip rib pilot holes into the left and right elevator skins.
Once complete, I blue lined the center and tip ribs and started aligning
and drilling the elevator ribs. I finished the left elevator and
began work on the right.
I started this evening by
drilling the elevator hinge. I then moved to assembling and
drilling the elevator root assembly (Drive Ribs). I aligned the
root assembly on the granite flat table and used the kit supplied steel
drive horn as a template for the drill. To help get into the tight
spots, I used an air die grinder. I disassembled deburred, and
then reassembled for updrilling. Once complete, I marked the tip &
center ribs for the elevator skins. For fun, Tony gave me root rib
work-work late, I didn't get started on fun-work till after 9pm. I
started by marking the elevator skins for trimming. I used the
cutting wheel on the Dermel to rough out the skins. I then filed
and sanded the edges to finish. I inspected the skins per the
plans and called them good! I then deburred and inspected the
elevator ribs. I finished by cutting the elevator hinges to
length, but they still need to be drilled.
Back to SONEX
Back to Ashton Aerospace