Back to SONEX August 2012
Back to AshtonAerospace
On Guard! Ready your Flaps for Battle!
the drilling process, I checked the plans to make sure all of my marks
were in the appropriate locations. I blue lined all of the ribs
and then aligned the first rib to start drilling. I drilled all of
the "bottom" rivet holes, then the hinge line, then the "top" of the
The rudder was
disassembled for a rough deburr. It was then reassembled and #30
updrilling commenced. I drilled all rivet holes to the final 1/8"
size. I disassembled the rudder again for deburring. Tony (TMFT)
helped me make a deburr tool from music wire so that I could deburr the
hole inside of the skin that were not possible to reach from the inside.
At the end of the evening, the Rudder was reassembled and is now
COMPLETE!!!!!..... except for final inspection and rivets.
I continued to
work on the rudder. I used a steel rod and the arbor press to bend
the rudder drive plate the required. 5.2o. I then
fabricated T13-06 Angle that was not included in the kit. Once I
finished all fab and inspection of the components, I started aligning
and drilling the rudder drive rib assembly.
This was a very
slow and short night. I marked the rib lines and rivet locations
for the ribs on the rudder skin.
deburring all of the remaining flap parts. When complete, I carted
them all back home and re-assembled them with copper clecos. The
flaps are now COMPLETE..... well, except for riveting anyways :-)
The Rudder!!!! I started by gathering the major parts from the kit
(ribs, skin, etc). My first fab task was to cutt and drill the
hinge. I then marked and trimmed the skin. I found that
using the cutting wheel on the Dremel tool works much better than the
sheers. I rough it out with the Dremel and then finish it with the
file and sandpaper. Lastly for the night, I cleaned and inspected
the rudder drive plate.
of July!! So, before we BBQ, lets build an airplane! I
disassembled the flaps for a basic deburr before updrilling. I
began work on the Flap Drive rib assemblies. First I deburred and
inspected the drive plates from the kit. I made (not very well I
might add) a wood block jig to help align the drive plate to the drive
rib. This worked well for one rib, but the pins were not straight,
so when I flipped it over to do the other rib, I drilled the holes too
far forward... TOTAL FAIL!!! No worries though, there was a spare
rib in the kit and I used the first rib as a template for the second...
The day is Saved! Now off for some BBQ!!!
I redrilled the
rivet-skin holes in the new rib (replacing the one I screwed up).
I clecoed the flaps back together and started updrilling all of the
rivet holes with a #30 drill bit. Once complete, all parts were
disassembled for deburring. I called it a night after only
completing the hinge.
Back to SONEX
Back to Ashton Aerospace