It Begins: November 2011
Back to SONEX          December 2011          Back to AshtonAerospace 

I completed my first parts (from 1"x1"x1/8" AL Angle Stock) on November 15, 2011


      November 22 was the last day of the month I worked on the project.  The remainder of the week was spent celebrating the Thanksgiving Festivities.     In addition, I went to Joshua Tree National Park with Karl K. over the weekend and Celebrated my birthday the following Monday.


Total Hours:               29.5

Hours Fabricating:       20.6

Fab Hours to Date:      20.6



This was a double day of work.  I managed to the F14-11 parts and start working on the Flap Detent angle mounts over my lunch break.  After work, I finished the Flap Detent Angle monts and started re-making the tie-down angle that failed my QC.



I completed work on W11-10.  I also made parts F10-06 & F22-06.  I performed QC on all of the finished parts.  Most parts were good.  Two (F10-06 & F14-11) were flagged as Marginal.  I have 3 main QC Classes: Pass, Marginal, & Fail.  If the part is marginal, that means that the item that is "Out of Spec" may not be critical.  It will be determined if the part is good or bad at a later time.


I cut all the remaining 1x1x1/8" (x100") stock to rough length.  After I was finished, I had several small scrap pieces left as well as one whole 100" piece.  I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way and be thankful for the extra.



I fabricated F14-11 R&L.  I did not finish the parts on account of a Curling Match.  I included a pretty picture of me working on the Mill in the Shop :-)



I performed quality inspection on my first set of parts.  One Failed, and will have to be remade :-(


I rough-cut the remaining 1"x1"x1/8" Stock parts.  I almost immediately noticed the first big mistake of the night :-/  I've come to the realization that this is only the beginning and many, many more will follow.



First Day of Fabrication, First part made: SNX-W11-09



Wing Tie Down Brackets (SNX-W11-10).  I would later find that I mis-measured one of the holes and the part had to be scrapped.


I spend these two days laying on the living room floor looking through the immense, and somewhat overwhelming plans book.  The drawings are considerably busier than anything I do for work.... I tend to try and keep the page simple.  I'm sure I'll get used to it.  I began to look through the plans and pick out parts that were made using AL Angle bundle stock.  This task proved very tedious.  I also attempted to inventory the stock in the bundle based on the material guide in the drawing checklist.  This proved inconclusive.  I later emailed the factory and asked for an inventory list.  Thankfully, they sent one, which also included a list of the parts made with each size of stock!


The plans, Aluminum Angle Bundle, and my tools from the workshop were delivered!  The project officially Begins!

Back to SONEX           Back to Ashton Aerospace